Currently browsing category

community

Deeper, Better, Farther: Growing the Community & Improving LibreOffice

There is something truly comforting in observing vibrant communities such as the one of LibreOffice. The project is growing, not just in developers but in adoption as well: more users as well as more localizations are a visible sign inside the project. All this is not only thanks to our …

Join us at the Paris – Montreuil LibreOffice Hackfest!

I usually don’t dedicate a full post to these events, but this one is special to me for obvious reasons. On the 27th and the 28th of June, in Montreuil (right next to Paris) The Document Foundation and Simplon.co will organize a LibreOffic hackfest, joining both LibreOffice hackers, Simplon.co students, …

Mozilla, a tale of gentrification

This post has a high trolling potential, I am aware of it. So let’s start with a few points meant as a caveat emptor. The views expressed here are mine , solely mine and do not represent the views of the Document Foundation nor my current employer. As a consequence …

Brendan Eich, the bigots, and Software Freedom

Last week we learnt the news of the resignation of Brendan Eich from his position as CEO of the Mozilla Foundation/ Corporation. The controversy on Brendan Eich’s donations to opponents and campaigns against same-sex marriage ultimately prompted the inventor of Javascript to resign from the position he had just been …

Keeping a promise made a long time ago

Some time around 2009 or 2010, the OpenDocument community realized that while it had won the moral battle over Microsoft and its dubious OOXML standard, it had lost the adoption and ecosystems war. Microsoft Office had been released and with it an undocument format called OOXML which, as far as …

A new web site for the LibreOffice Project

When we first started the LibreOffice Project, we had a gazilion tasks to work on. Among them, we had priorities, most of them involving the code readiness of our first version, LibreOffice 3.3. Another priority was to make sure that the native-lang communities of the now defunct OpenOffice.org project would …

Good Bye Mandriva

I am no longer working for Mandriva S.A. since the beginning of the year. I was working as a consultant on marketing as well as on the Open Source relations for the company since 2012 and it is time for me to move forward. I had a great time at …

A New Board for a New Year

Around the turn of the year, starting in fact in November  2013, the Document Foundation had its second election for its board of directors. While this election went well it was not overly advertised either in the press, the blogosphere and even by the Document Foundation itself. It  was however …

Something new in the land of Linux distros

If you have been following the news and stories on Linux  distributions since over ten years like I have been, you tend to have  a fairly standard view -yet an educated one- about what’s going on with them, why every year since about 2002 this could have been the year …

%d bloggers like this: