Currently browsing category

community

Pondering the future of the Document Foundation

This past week we had had the pleasure to welcome both our new marketing assistant and the new board of directors of the Document Foundation. I would like to say a few words on where the Document Foundation stands now – and I must stress that I’m confident the new …

LibreOffice 5.1- an unusual release

The Document Foundation just released LibreOffice 5.1 and I would like to share some personal views about it. First: give it a try, you will be impressed both by the performance and the changes in the user interface. You can then check the abridged release notes here and the full, …

In Memoriam of John McCreesh & FOSDEM 2016

I was about to write about the main topic of this post, namely FOSDEM 2016 when we learned of the death of someone who was a really nice and gentle human being, John McCreesh. For those who may not know John, it’s important to say that while he was not …

Status report on Emacs

It has been some time I have not shared some news about my increasing use of Emacs. This post will be just about that. Let me quickly summarize what I do with Emacs on a daily basis: email (mu4e) note taking (org-mode) blogging (org-mode, markdown, html) project management (org-mode) IRC …

LibreOffice Online is here!

This week Collabora has shown an early testing version of the cloud version of LibreOffice integrated with an Owncloud instance. To me and others, this marks a significant milestone in the story of LibreOffice and the Document Foundation. I’m aware that the code is not stabilized and there’s much work …

FOSS projects and their legal structures

Free Software has been growing pretty much everywhere around the world, and so much so that we now face challenges nobody would have thought possible even ten years ago. One of these unexpected issues is the need for proper legal structures. Traditionally, only a handful of entities used to exist. …

Rolling and tumbling

Recently I realized that it has been over 5 years I’ve been using Arch Linux continuously, one one or two of my computers. I have been using it in professional environment on my laptop and my workstation; I have been using it as a “home entertainment platform”, as it were, …

Join us at the Open Source Summit in Paris !

Short announcement: I’ll be speaking at the Open Source Summit in Paris on the 18th of November: the panel discussion will be about community and contributors’ engagement (the panel is dubbed “from the individual to the collective and the collective to the individual…”). You will find more information here and …

Affectio Societatis

I have been meaning to write this post since this Summer, and since we will have a session at the Paris Open Source Summit in November about this topic, I thought now is the right time to discuss it here. There is a mystery of sorts about the reasons people have …

%d bloggers like this: